We’ve stopped taking new submissions for Issue #28.
******Online issue #28 is scheduled to be released in October 2019. Though we haven’t been through everything in our submittable queue, we feel confident that we have all we need for this issue at the moment, so we’re putting a pause on new submissions until this issue is done. Keep an eye out here in October when we open submissions again.**********
Any submissions accepted for online publication will automatically be considered for inclusion in the next print issue. We are not currently accepting submissions for print-only.
We are looking for interesting fiction, poetry, essays, and multimedia work from all over the world. However, preference is given to Southern writers and Southern themes. For more information about the kind of writing we like, read our past issues and review our manifesto.
Please include a brief third-person bio statement in your cover letter.
If your work is published in Steel Toe Review, please wait at least six months after being published before you submit again. If your work is rejected, please wait at least six months to submit again, unless we express an explicit desire to see something else right away.
Some general notes:
- Please allow more time than you might think reasonable for a response.
- We do allow simultaneous submissions. We think it would be very selfish not to. However, if your work is accepted elsewhere before we get back to you, please let us know and withdraw your submission from Submittable.
- We do not publish previously published work. Appearance on a blog, in an e-book, in a self-published book, or in a print-on-demand book counts as published.
- STR does not currently pay contributors. We aren’t making any money from this either, so don’t be mad about it.
- You retain all the rights to your work. You can do whatever you want with it after we publish it.
- If we accept your work, we will add you to our email list automatically.
- We do not take snail mail or email submissions. Email submissions will be promptly returned with a curt note about the submission management system. Paper submissions will be set on fire and used in Satanic rituals.
Guidelines by Genre:
- Fiction/Creative Non-Fiction/Short Plays – no minimum length, max of 5000 words
- Poetry/Prose Poetry/Flash Fiction – submit up to three pieces, all in one file
- Visual Art – submit as PDF, all work in one file. We will ask for individual hi-res files if we decide to publish
- Blended Forms (fiction or poetry with visual elements) – Submit as a PDF. We may ask for it in a different format if we decide to publish it.
We use Submittable for all our submissions. To submit, click the button below.